Saturday, 3 October 2009

Aunty Ps



Whilst contemplating the sorry state of the tomato plants in my garden last week it occurred to me, with tremendous delight, that I had the perfect tomatoes for green tomato chutney.

The basic recipe I use was passed to me from dear friend and is called Aunty Ps, after her husband's Aunty Pat who passed it to her . Its a very simple recipe - "2lbs of green tomatoes, 2lbs of apples, 2lbs of sugar, 2 pints of vinegar and pickling spices, boil until done".

What I do is chop the tomatoes and apples in the Magimix first because I don't like big lumps. This year I also chopped in half a courgette that had grown, unobserved, to marrow proportions hidden behind a big leaf. I make up my own pickling spices in a muslin square - peppercorns, cinnamon, juniper berries, coriander seeds, dried chillies.

This year I made two batches - one for Mum and Dad with only a little chilli and one for me with more spice and heat. Perfect with cheese and my homemade, wholemeal bread rolls.

(I will blog/rant about bread another time).

No comments: