
Always on the lookout for things to cook during the week that are tasty, interesting, nourishing and will do for more than one meal - this week, inspired by the beautiful white curds of a cauliflower from Morrisons and a small butternut squash, 49p from Lidl, I made a gratine.
I steamed the vegetables for 5 minutes and put them in an oblong dish then I made a thick white sauce with butter, skimmed milk, mustard powder and a big grating of nutmeg (plus s & p), there was about 3/4 pint of sauce. This was poured on top of the veg and topped with wholemeal bread crumbs from the freezer (home made, a good use for left over bread) and a couple of handfuls of Davidstow cheddar.* In a gas mark 4 oven for 30 mins.
I ate it with an experimental nut roast made from a packet - Granose, 2 for £2 in Morrisons (the other is Felafel's). Very tasty and very satisfying and it tasted equally good the next day heated in the microwave.
Butternut squash is wonderful. I don't buy them often because my food miles scruples won't allow it - they are from a variety of countries, some half way round the world, but I always enjoy them when I do. Whilst I wait for their harvest to move closed to England (as it does this time of year) I need to experiment with English varieties to find an equivalent texture and taste. But having said that, even I will put aside my scruples when faced with a box each the size of a large grapefruit and 49p!
* Davidstow cheddar is my favorite supermarket cheese. Its a strong cheddar that does not bite back but has bags of flavour and a lovely chalky 'bite'.
No comments:
Post a Comment