Monday, 27 October 2008

Homage to Ottolenghi


Inspired by the weekend pilgrimage to the Islington Ottolenghi I attempted to create a meal in the Ottolenghi style.

What I came up with was:


Sweet Potato, Shallot and Goats Cheese Tart - C really enjoyed the one she had on Saturday. The recipe wasn't in the book but I got inspiration from the Sweet Potato Galettes and Jerusalem Artichoke and Swiss Chard Tart. The sweet potato was moreish, the soft goats cheese flavoured and added a creamy texture.

Chargrilled Broccoli with Chili and Garlic - I've been cooking this obsessively since I first got the book. C had it with her tart on Saturday and loved it.

Beetroot and Pear with Balsamic Vinegar - I loved the beetroot and fig salad I had with my beef. Beetroot and apple is a classic combination but the pear is also good. I made a balsamic vinaigrette with Dijon mustard and good olive oil - which unfortunately came out like brown sauce (I forgot it did that). However, it tasted delicious and just like the beetroot and fig.
Roast New Potatoes with Shallots - roasted with sea salt, olive oil, shallots and garlic then marinaded when hot with a wholewheat mustard vinaigrette.

And the verdict? C pronounced it delicious.

A lot of work but there is enough tart for tomorrow and salad for a couple of days.

I have always enjoyed eating like this, don't know why I don't do it more often.

No comments: